Friday, September 16, 2011

A "We the Kings" State of Mind

My background on We the Kings music began a couple of years ago, when I heard they were coming to my college campus to play a free show. I had previously only vaguely heard their radio hit "Check Yes Juliet," but I figured a show is a show. I turned to YouTube for help, and the first hit that came up when I searched "We the Kings" was some song called "Skyway Avenue."

I listened to "Skyway Avenue" all the way through, and afterwards just sat at my desk with my mouth hanging open. Replay! Replay!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing--how was I such a newcomer to such a great band?! The next night I went to the free show, caught the pick Travis Clark used when they played "Skyway Avenue," and to this day its hanging on the wall I'm facing as I type this--and that song is still in my Top 10 favorite songs of all time. (Pretty hard list to make when blink-182 alone takes 3 of those spots.)

After that night, I listened to the self-titled album over and over. I was definitely a fan, and bought Smile Kid when it came out. I would be lying if I said I didn't like that album; it has some great songs, specifically "The Story of Your Life" and "Anna Maria." I maybe wasn't as crazy about Smile Kid as I was about the self-titled album, but I thought hey! every band changes.

Also, at this point, I'd heard enough We the Kings to convince me that nobody, ever, has incorporated the bridges that WTK does, and seems to put in almost every song. Its truly insane. They change keys, they get heavier, and sometimes the lyrics even get deeper. And I think that's what saving me from crossing the line with Sunshine State of Mind--the line between liking it and just feeling blah about it.

This album is catchy. Its poppy. Its super, super polished. And its...sort of lacking in substance.  I wish I could say I wasn't expecting it. We the Kings is a great, incredibly talented band, but in my honest opinion, I think they need to go back to their roots if they want to stay as successful as they are currently. "Check Yes Juliet" caught everyone's attention, as did "We'll Be A Dream." These may have been more pop hits than alternative or punk rock, but I can guarantee the kids standing front row at your shows are also waiting for your less commercial hits, too.

I know that "Friday is Forever" is the headlining single from this album, but I've heard them do better. However, the album isn't bad, and while not groundbreaking, I think most would definitely find it somewhat enjoyable. I particularly like the slow tune, "The View From Here," and also "Kiss Me Last," "Somebody to Call My Own," "Say You Like Me," and  "The Secret to New York." Most of the ones I like include a great bridge--again, how do you do that? The slowdown in the bridge during "Secret to New York" might be my favorite moment on the whole album. If you are into the type of pop-inspired, immediately catchy, ready-for-radio tunes, then you'll probably be into this album; its just not my cup of tea.

I love the We the Kings and I want to see them succeed and get even more popular, so that's why I feel the need to dole out a little bit of tough love. They need to start focusing on their next album, and instead of going even more pop and commercial, they need to regroup and come out with another great album.  My bottom line is, don't be afraid to push the boundaries--playing in safe territory is not going to get you that next definitive album or song. I think some bands reach fame and have all these amazing fans, and they forget which albums and songs made them famous in the first place. We the Kings: you are a great, talented band who I'm rooting for--for your next album, I am hoping you release something that lives up to what I've come to expect from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment