Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Am I The Enemy? RJA's Latest Release

When I think Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, it automatically takes me back to high school. We couldn't get enough of False Pretense, Guardian Angel, and of course Damn Regret and Seventeen. I waited three long years after that for RJA to release another album and finally secure their spot as one of my favorite bands. Unfortunately this didn't happen: Lonely Road happened instead.

I'm not saying that album was necessarily bad--it just was not up to par with Don't You Fake It. Sure, it had a few good songs, and showed off Ronnie Winter's impressive voice in a couple (which I have yet to experience live--what kind of headliner plays Warped before 3 p.m.?! Ridiculous. My greatest disappointment of '07, people).

Anyway. Moving on. With Am I The Enemy, I don't think RJA has quite gotten back to Don't You Fake It territory, but they've sure come close. (Clarification! I know everyone hates when people expect bands to stay the same. "Of course the album is different! They've matured! How dare you insult their evolving creative genius?!" I'm not expecting another album like the first, just another album as good as the first.)

I really like this album. I first listened to it on Spotify (if you don't have Spotify, you need it like yesterday) and I might actually have to buy it. This album is full of what I would call power choruses, and RJA gets back to a bit of screaming in a couple of songs. And in classic Red Jumpsuit form, they've got that softer tune on the record, and I think Dive Too Deep is great.  I'm a fan of Reap (one complaint: the non-screamo version for the radio edit...hmm) along with Salvation and Wake Me Up. Dreams has a really strong intro, and Where are the Heroes has a really cool breakdown.  Fall From Grace is harder, more screamo again, and Choke is an overall mediocre song, but has a great ending.

What songs are left? Am I the Enemy, Angel in Disguise, and Don't Lose Hope are all good songs also, and add to the overall album; they just didn't stick out to me in particular. One more note: if you're listening to the album and not realizing how versatile and gifted Ronnie Winter's voice is, from screaming to high notes, then you're not listening hard enough. Or you've just never tried singing. Whatevs.

Final ruling on this album is LISTEN TO IT. That's like, not as good as BUY IT NOW, but substantially better than IF YOU HAVE TIME. If you've been a fan of RJA in the past and been wishing for a real follow up to Don't You Fake It, I think this is as close as you're going to get. A few more listens to this album might put RJA right back in their place of favor with me...where I've always felt they could be someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment