Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Noise Tour with Mayday Parade

I originally agreed to go the Noise Tour because a good friend loves that type of music and wanted someone to go with. Obviously I said yes because I love all music, especially live music...and the tickets were only $20. Then, I looked up the bands on the tour and was actually pretty excited; I wasn't a huge fan of any of the bands, but I knew a few songs by almost all of them; I'd also heard from several different people that Mayday Parade is incredible live. I started listening to all of the bands (Spotify) and discovered I really liked them all.

So, I went to the venue only semi-knowing what to expect. The first band up whose songs I had seriously listened to was You Me At Six, who I discovered I actually like. They were really very good live and put on a great show. The lead singer actually jumped into the crowd to mosh with us, which I thought was fun. However, I did feel bad for the band; Indianapolis isn't exactly the mecca for punk rock kids or any type of rock, but nobody really seemed that into it at all. In my concert experience, regardless of whether you know the music or not, if it sounds good you should be moving to show appreciation for the band. I mean, these guys came all the way over from England and this is the respect we showed them? Come on, Indy. Anyway, I thought they were really talented live. The only thing I wish is that they would have played some older stuff. Save it for the Bedroom is my favorite song by them, and despite my enjoyment of their set I would have really liked to hear it.

Next was We Are the In Crowd, who I was really excited to see. I've seen Paramore and Hey Monday, and since I kind of consider WATIC the group to round out a triangle of pop punk girl lead singers, I was excited to see how they did. What I really do enjoy about this band is that while a girl is the lead, a guy is the backup and does a lot of lead singing himself in certain songs. They played everything I wanted to hear (my favorite by them is Lights Out) and their new songs, which I really hadn't heard very much of, sounded really good as well. They also had a fun show and tried to get the crowd pumped up. Unfortunately, the problem was the same for this band: no matter what they did, this crowd wouldn't really get into it. I've been to enough concerts to know that it wasn't the band's fault--they were genuinely trying to have a party. The crowd I experienced is just exemplary of Indiana. In sum, We Are the In Crowd is a really talented band and they have a lot of potential, especially considering that their first full-length just came out and most of their fame up to this point was riding on a single LP.

Next up was the headliner, Mayday Parade. I was excited for them because as I mentioned, they sort of have a reputation for being awesome live. They opened with their latest single, Oh Well Oh Well, which (a) I absolutely loved, and (b) was a really gutsy move--most bands wouldn't begin a concert with a song that starts slow, but it totally worked for them. Oh Well Oh Well was one of my top songs of the night, along with When You See My Friends, Miserable, and Three Cheers. I also liked that they started off with this one, because its got some great higher/belt-them-out notes in it--I was ready to see right away how talented the lead singer is live. Decision: he was just as awesome as everyone promised he would be.

Mayday was really interesting to me, because normally I have a penchant, when it comes to just about any band, for liking the lead singer more than any other member. Derek Sanders was incredibly talented and so cute, but truly all of the members put on a fantastic show. The guitarists never stopped jumping around and on top of things, and swinging their guitars around. Then the drummer... As I said, I listened to Mayday before the concert but I didn't really research the band too much. I knew there was another singer in addition to Derek, but naturally I assumed it was one of the six-strings or the bassist. I couldn't figure out for a while where the voice was coming from at the live show, then I realized it was the drummer. Listening to the music, I have always thought the backup/harmony guy had a voice that is just as good as Derek's, just not as definitive (you can always tell its Derek when he's singing).  And believe me when I tell you, playing drums and singing at the same time is not easy. Guitar and singing? Not too bad. Drums are a different story. I have the greatest respect for this guy.


The thing about both Derek and drummer Jake Bundrick is that they are so natural about their voices--it doesn't seem like they have to focus too hard or strain to hit the notes. And the fact that they stopped everything to let Derek do an acoustic song on a keyboard was absolutely clutch. Mayday Parade has this weird way of being able to play slow or sad songs, but still keeping the crowd pumped. Probably this is the factor that makes everyone say they are incredible live. If I had one bone to pick with Mayday Parade it would be that they neglected to play The Silence; it might be old but its an incredible song, maybe my favorite by them. Oh well...


All in all? Mayday Parade is without a doubt a fun show to attend, but for someone like myself I was stunned at the actual talent in this band. For most bands I like, I will readily admit do not have the most natural performing talent. Songwriting and lyricism are two things my favorite bands have in spades, but natural singing and playing talent is sometimes lacking. The only reason Mayday Parade isn't more famous than they are is because of the slew of bands in their genre and the fact that its hard to break out when there is so much competition. Its also hard to be a band that's more in the pop side of the genre than rock, because many people who like pop music don't get the fact that you might have to listen to a rock album a few times before really getting it. 


Anyway, this is an great show and if you have any opportunity to ever see Mayday Parade live, it will be more than worth it. Trust me. 

In reference to my earlier ramblings about incredible artists who don't have much natural singing talent...I often wonder what would happen if there was a mix-and-match band gathering the best songwriters with the best lyricists with the best singers and instrumentalists. If one band had everything? Either the world would implode...or it would suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment